Skilled technical people often find themselves promoted to managing the team. A balance of leadership and management skills are required, and it is important to understand the difference. Skilled team members rarely require day-to-day supervision, yet they do often require assistance to produce business results.
This course covers a comprehensive list of management 101 skills and is packed with practical tips, templates and real-world examples. Leadership and motivating people is a crucial element to balance management skills. In this course, learn how to:
- Set a vision for your team and get buy-in for the goals and ground rules
- Create a team business plan aligned to the strategic direction of the organisation
- Manage the whole team, including suppliers and contractors, and external influencers
- Create team success in a matrix-managed organisation
- Execute through well-designed control and reporting
- Delegate effectively
- Manage a crisis
- Radically improve your time management by focusing on priority issues
- Get the most out of team meetings
- Understand people and personalities
- Performance manage the team in a motivating way
Who should attend?
Engineers promoted into management
Technical managers looking to enhance their skills
Anyone who wants to learn how to get the best out of leading smart people
Upon completion of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Adapt their mindset and behaviours to transition to a team leader
- Understand the transition from expert contributor to team leader
- Organise, manage and lead a high-performance team
- Understand the governance elements required to manage the team efficiently, including running meetings, reporting and setting and tracking goals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to motivate people, including various levels of performance management.
- Practice the basics of good communication skills.